XML Training Course Content
What is XML?
What is markup? (Markup = Tagging)
What are the similarities between HTML and XML
Is XML is Replacement for HTML
What are the differences between HTML and XML
What is the purpose of XML
What XML Does
Who invented XML tags
What is an XML document?
What is XML application?
- An example XML document:
- All XML elements must have a closing tag
- XML tags are case sensitive
- All XML elements must be properly nested
- All XML documents must have a root tag
- Attribute values must always be quoted
- Entity References
- Comments in XML
- White-space is Preserved in XML
What is a well-formed XML document
What is an XML Element
What are the XML Naming Rules
What are the Best Naming Practices
- XML Attributes Must be Quoted
- Use of Elements vs. Attributes
- Avoid using attributes? (I say yes!)
- XML Attributes for Metadata
- XML Documents Form a Tree Structure
How to view XML files
How to develop an XML document
How to check the well-formedness of XML document
How to validate XML document
What is an XML parser? What are its functions
What is DTD
What are the constituents of DTD file? (Contains)
- PCDATA – Parsed Character Data
- CDATA – (Unparsed) Character Data
DTD – Elements
- Declaring an Element
- Empty elements
- Elements with data
- Elements with children (sequences)
What is cardinality operator in DTD
- Declaring only one occurrence of the same element
- Declaring minimum one occurrence of the same element
- Declaring zero or more occurrences of the same element
- Declaring zero or one occurrences of the same element
- Declaring mixed content
DTD – Attributes
- Declaring Attributes
- Attribute declaration example
- Default attribute value
- Implied attribute
- Required attribute
- Fixed attribute value
- Enumerated attribute values
DTD – Entities
- Entities as variables used to define shortcuts to common text.
- Entity references are references to entities.
- Entities can be declared internal.
- Entities can be declared external
How to associate a DTD with XML
- Inside an XML document
- External reference.
What do you know about SYSTEM keyword in DOCTYPE declaration
What are the limitations of DTD
What is an XSD
What XSD defines
Compare and contrast DTDs and XSDs
- Simple Types
- Complex Types
How to give Default and Fixed Values to Simple Elements ?
How to Define an Attribute?
How to define fixed and default values to attributes?
How to specify an attribute as optional/ required?
- Restrictions on Values
- Restrictions on a Set of Values
- Restrictions on a Series of Values
- Number of Digits
- Restrictions on Whitespace Characters
- Restrictions on Length
- Restrictions for Datatypes
- Elements with attributes
- Elements with sub elements
- Elements with attributes and text
- Elements with sub elements and text
- Group name
- AttributeGroup name
Annotating XML Schemas
Refer a Schema in an XML Document